Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Pedal power, solar power, a surprise and the Northern Lights

I checked my schedule earlier to see who else was supposed to be grooming with me later and it turns out that I have the day off, a nice little surprise. So no cleaning planes for me today, and I don't even know where to begin what I want/need to do. Started out by going for a coffee with Sonya and Kim. I think I'm also going to do a bit of gardening next while it's sunny and nice out, and then hopefully some sorting out and posting of pictures from BC for those that are interested, then there's laundry and housecleaning to be done, so we'll see how far I actually get. At least there is a bit of motivation from Kim, today so far she baked a dozen loaves of bread and I don't even remember how many dozen cookies. She is baking a dozen cookies and a loaf of bread each for the maintenance people that collected money for her for the baby, there's 22 of them! It doesn't help much that I didn't get up until just before noon, but that was justified, more on that later!

When I went to get dressed the morning that we left for vacation I found a package on the bed with a Happy Vacation card (a present for going on holiday? I could get used to this!) It was a little thing called a Solio, so now I don't have to leave my computer on for hours just to charge my iPod. I am really impressed by this little gadget, and I can't help wondering why there haven't been more advances in this kind of renewable, environmentally friendly sort of thing. I also saw a segment on tv about a sort of speed bump that generates electricity, without going into too much detail, it was just a thing in the road that kind of rocked when a car drove over it, which turned a thing inside another thing that turned into power, I think there may have been some magnets somewhere too. Anyway, it was enough to power everything in a normal house, so I don't know why there isn't one in front of every house. It brings to mind all sorts of conspiracy theories involving big energy companies...

On that note, I also really don't know why I don't ride my bike more often. I rode downtown the other day to the post office, it doesn't take any longer than driving, therefore saves on gas, it's much easier to find somewhere to park, the route is much more scenic as it follows the shore of Frame Lake, I got to interact with lots of people who were all friendly, there was even a group calling for help for someone, personally I think he probably just picked that spot in the bushes as a good place to recover, his bike was standing on it's stand so it didn't look like he'd crashed! So my faith in humanity was restored, and I even got some excerise.

I'll spare the gory details of my super long day at work yesterday, but after the usual Diavik and other routine places we went to, I got to tag along up to Kugluktuk, first time I've been there not in winter, wished I could have gone for a walk along the beach, no time for that though, after we got fuel and unloaded our freight there, flew the ten minutes to my favourite Hope Lake, picked up some more stuff and came home. After unloading again and getting the plane ready for today it was about midnight, and I saw the Northern Lights for the first time this season, they were good ones too, so I took the time to get a few pictures, these ones don't really do them justice though. So that's why I slept till noon today! Okay, I just looked at the pics again and you can barely see them, oh well!

Time to get some sun for me and bring about the end to some weeds...

8 Comments:

Blogger pingcat said...

Thanks for the link and I'm looking forward to you northern lights thing (aurora borealis) pictures. When you lived in South Africa could you see the aurora Australis?

8:47 a.m.  
Blogger Nanook said...

Thanks Pingcat, unfortunately I can't seem to post any pictures right now, they're all floating around in cyberspace somewhere and I don't know how to get them back!
We couldn't see the Aurora Australis from SA, I think maybe we are a bit too far north for that.

11:17 a.m.  
Blogger Quodlibet said...

That was a good post! What happened to your pics?

12:48 p.m.  
Blogger Nanook said...

I dunno why they won't post, they upload and evrything like normal, except they just don't appear on the post, either I'm missing something really obvious or I angered Pingcat's Picture Gods!

1:06 p.m.  
Blogger Quodlibet said...

That happened to me once too and I found that when I had a long write up I had to post the pictures on a second post.... so I don't know if there is some kind of size limit per post? Did you try posting the pictures on a new entry?

8:07 p.m.  
Blogger Nanook said...

Yep, tried that too, same thing happened with the Ontario trip post and it seemed to just decide to work again after a few days.
I just got back from fort Good Hope, bringing people back from the funeral of the plane crash people.

12:22 a.m.  
Blogger Quodlibet said...

That is quite sad eh. I wonder how they all felt going on a plane considering the first plane crash was bringing people back from a funeral. Ironic and sad.

1:16 p.m.  
Blogger pingcat said...

When I was coming back from St. Paul/Bonneyville, dead of winter, dark of night @ 42000 I took a ton of pictures of the northern lights because they were awsome....none turned out, nadda ... just have to 'merimber them the way they were.

4:28 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home