Friday, August 04, 2006

What's to do in Yellowknife on a Thursday night?

How about watch a school burn down...

We heard some sirens going around about seven this evening, joked that it sounded like a car chase. Carried on getting packed, much later on Mike said to come and see the big fire. And it was big, we could see the flames over the top of the buildings between us and there, and a huge plume of black smoke over the city, reminded me a bit of when Hub Oil burned down in Calgary. So anyway, yep, I admit, we went for a drive, turns out that we weren't the only ones with that idea, at least half the city was already there watching. They had two giant ladders trucks going, and some of the airport fire trucks too, very cool to see that machinery in action, normally just get to see it sitting all shiny in the sun when you drive past the firehall.

It's now half past one in the morning, and we have to get up in three and a half hours to catch our flight. So much for going to bed early, of course I've been feeling exhausted and tired all day, and now that it's time to go to bed, I'm wide awake. Someone is going to have to fill us in on the details when we get home!

3 Comments:

Blogger Quodlibet said...

Wow, that is terrible...which school?

3:26 a.m.  
Blogger Nanook said...

It was St' Joe's, in behind the monkey tree, we could see it still smoking when we took off the next morning.

12:42 p.m.  
Blogger pingcat said...

Wow, you don't even know me ... but, I "tagged" Lisa and well, I'm just a little short of blogging folk so .... coffee sez I have to do this!
1. Grab the nearest book. Ok got it.
2. Open the book to page 123. You guys are gonna hate me!
3. Find the fifth sentence. still gonna hate me!
4. Post the text of the next 3 sentences on your blog along with these instructions.
5. Don’t you dare dig for that "cool" or "intellectual" book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it! Just pick up whatever is closest.
6. Tag five people.

12:28 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home